Re: Debian and Redhat on the same PC

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:17:52AM -0500, dx wrote:

| I just like to know how can I install Debian and Redhat
| on the same PC.

With separate partitions for each OS.

| I already installed Redhat using Grub,

No problem (I like grub too, much easier to use than lilo, IMO)

| but Debian is using LILO.

Only by default.  When the installer asks if you want to install LILO
in the MBR say *NO* (but do make a boot floppy just in case you ever
need to use it).

| And how do you make/allocate partitions
| for both of them  without stepping on each other?

Use cfdisk to edit your partition table.  The only problem is that it
is difficult to change the partitions of an existing system without
destroying it.  (eg: you have some data at the end of hda2 and you
want to split it into hda2 and hda3, where does that data go?)

You may need to do a reinstall if you don't have enough partitions
already but the process is fairly straightforward.

Make partitions for each OS that you want.  Eg :

hda1    :   /boot for both
hda2    :   / for RH
hda3    :   / for Debian
hda4    :   /home for both

Then install Redhat, but don't touch hda3 with it's installer.  Then
install Debian, but don't touch hda2 with it's installer.  Both should
be able to stick their kernels in /boot without stomping on each other
because I think they use different filenames (or at least different
versions).  You can use the same kernel in both OSes if the modules
(/lib/modules/<version>) are kept in sync.  Install grub on the MBR
but don't install lilo there.  Edit grub's config to look something
like :

##########
title       RedHat
root        (hd0,1)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-<whatever_they_called_it> root=/dev/hda2 read-only
boot

##########
title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.17-k7 , 1280x1024x16)
root        (hd0,2)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre20 root=/dev/hda3 read-only
boot

(is potato's installer still using 2.2.18pre20?  if not change the
path appropriately)

The only remaining problem is the UIDs for the users.  You need to
make sure they are the same for both OSes or else /home will get
screwed up.  Debian starts users at 1000 but redhat starts at 500.  My
preference is to change the redhat user to uid 1000 and keep the
debian uid.

I did have both RH and Debian installed on the same machine for a
while when I considered switching to Debian.  You will likely find RH
easier to configure at first, but when you learn more you'll like
debian's style better.  You'll also find that current RH releases have
newer packages than potato, but most debian people use woody or sid
for desktop machines.  The other main differences are : RH uses a
broken compiler (not even a real release) and debian has many more
packages than RH.

Have fun,
-D

--

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,