Re: How to start OSS/Commercial Automatically + upgrade LD

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:27:52 -0500 (EST)
Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've installed debian and have to say I feel quite a bit more at home
> with Debian than any other Linux system I've used. I am a NetBSD user
> for the mostpart.

Good. You might like Gentoo Linux (www.gentoo.org) even more - it has a
similar package management system to BSD apparently.

> > I have a few questions, first off how can I run the soundon command to
> > start up OSS automatically at bootup?

I have a small file called oss in /etc/rc.boot:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/soundon

Make the file executable (chmod ug+x /etc/rc.boot/oss) and make sure the
path is correct for your systen.

> > Second I'm running a Nvidia GeForce2 MX-400 with linux and am having
> strange crashes (the X server exits with signal 11 I think) anyhow
> according to Nvidia this could be because the linker (ld) is of an old
> version... Can I upgrade my ld to a new version?

I too have a graphics card which requires the Nvidia drivers. I downloaded
the tar.gz pacakage from Nvidia, unzipped/untarred it and ran 'make
install'. I have had no problems with it at all. Mind you, I run Debian
unstable. It might be worth your while upgrading your version of Debian if
you are running Potato. Have you made the requisite changes to the XFree
config file in /etc/X11?

> I'm already running kernel 2.4.16 with many of the tools recompiled
> >from source (all those suggested by 2.4.16 installation) so ld would
> just be another one.

I wouldn't have done that. You will have dependency problems with other
packages if Debian doesn't know what is installed on your system,
especially with important system files. Debian testing or unstable are
very usable and to most Debian users they are more stable than what RedHat
might refer to as stable. If you point /etc/apt/sources.list to either
testing or unstable and do 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get install xyz' you
would get the latest version of that app - the only issue is that other
apps and libs would also be upgraded along the way. It is a problem with
Debian where the roll-out time for new version takes so long. Potato is
rather long in the tooth now and I would imagine a great many Debian users
are actually running testing or unstable.

I have been running Unstable for a long time and have had few problems. If
you subscribe to this list you will be aware when something breaks and
know not to upgrade until the issue is resolved. Unless you are running a
mission-critical system it is the way to go.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux

/"\