How to start OSS/Commercial Automatically + upgrade LD

Hello all,

I've installed debian and have to say I feel quite a bit more at home
with Debian than any other Linux system I've used. I am a NetBSD user
for the mostpart.

I have a few questions, first off how can I run the soundon command to
start up OSS automatically at bootup?

Second I'm running a Nvidia GeForce2 MX-400 with linux and am having
strange crashes (the X server exits with signal 11 I think) anyhow
according to Nvidia this could be because the linker (ld) is of an old
version... Can I upgrade my ld to a new version?

I'm already running kernel 2.4.16 with many of the tools recompiled
from source (all those suggested by 2.4.16 installation) so ld would
just be another one.

Thanks all!
Ben

B. Bogart