Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

Michael Dickey wrote:

>Seems a silly question, but...
>Just installed Gnome & GDM on my son's computer along with a lot of the
>Debian-junior packages. Now I find that I cannot login as root - I always get
>the message "The system administrator is not allowed to login from this
>screen" I can do some system admin stuff from an xterm if I su root, but how
>do I actually do a root login and use Gnome as root so I can configure it?

That is the default behavior for gdm: you can't login as root, as gdm can also be
used in a network setting for login (there it's even more advisable not to login
as root remotely). it's not really advisable logging as root via gdm. Why not
make your own account in the PC and include your account as a sudoer? Then
you'll need not login as root to do sysad stuff.

If you're using a fairly recent version of gdm, try looking for a gdmconfig
program. Else, look for and edit the gdm configuration file in /etc/gdm.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com