Re: iptables ruleset

Pauwel Demeyer wrote:

Martin A. Hansen wrote:

try

apt-get install ipmasq

-martin

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Pauwel Demeyer wrote:

Hi,

I'm installing debian, and downloaded the package iptables.  you say it
has a standard config? well, when I do iptables -L, I get the following:
modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
(do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I did the net-install of debian woody 3.0,I thought...
Can anyone help?

Martin A. Hansen wrote:

hi

im putting up iptables on a server using the default ruleset that comes when install ipmasq under debian woody.

now im wondering if that ruleset represents a strong firewall or what?
i want my internal network masqed, but no targets in the rulesset shows any masq activity?

heres the ruleset;

root@homer:/home/maasha# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG all -- 127.0.0.0/8 anywhere LOG level warning
DROP       all  --  127.0.0.0/8          anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             homer
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.0.255
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
ACCEPT     all  --  homer                anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.0.255        anywhere
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

any suggestions on how to set up a strong firewall rule set will be appreciated!

regards

-martin

apt-get says I have the latest versions of both iptables and ipmasq

??

where's my problem?

Hi,
have you enabled your kernel to support iptables? Just installing packages isn't enough. Just a thought...

Pontus