From: wsa [mailto:wsa@hotpop.com]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 10:23 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: kernel 2.4.17...2 strange things(2)

(never arrived back here so sending this one again)

Hi,

Today i upgared from potato to woody...
with:
dselect update
apt-get dist-upgrade
(just mentioning it cause this might be the wrong way?)

And i switched to a 2.4.17 kernel.

Now i have 2 NICs....different brands...realtek and 3com.
eth0, the realtek,  connnectiong to the net and eth1 for the LAN,
which is a 3com ISAPNP NIC.
Both are compiled into the kernel.
First thing i noticed that the NICs had switched....realtek became
eth1 and 3com eth0....grrrrrrrrrrr.

The other problem is that with my previous 2.2.19 kernel the 3com
was detected at IRQ7 and 0x300 which is what it is set to...
(checked with the 3com utils)

But with 2.4.17 it gives me IRQ12 and base 220....which is the PS2 port
IRQ...(so no mouse either)
I checked again with the 3com utils and the card was still set to 7/300

 From what i can tell i did compile the kernel with all the right options
including PNPisa.

How do i solve this?

And another thing...i also noticed that on mounted vfat windows partitions
every file and every directory now gets marked as executable...
Is this normal?

Many thanks
Willem