Re: make-kpkg exists, right?

Sorry about the delay, but I left the computers for a moment, and everyone
wanted me to have a byte to eat. So in the order that I received the
questions and responses, I have my response and/or output.

J.A.Serralheiro <mrserra@ci.uc.pt> wrote:
> just compile the kernel the generalw way. make-kpkg will create a package
> that u install as if some some software package.
>
> cd to /usr/src/linux and read README file. There u will find all the
> instructions u need to compile the kernel without relying on the debian
> weay

Right now, I want to try to get the debian way to work for me.

D-Man [dman@dman.ddts.net]; on behalf of; dman [dsh8290@rit.edu] wrote:
> Is /usr/bin in your PATH?  Is /usr/bin/make-kpkg executable?

/usr/bin is in my PATH

icosagon:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16# ls -l /usr/bin/make-kpkg
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        30651 Dec 21  16:27 /usr/bin/make-kpkg

ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:
> use the full path, ie /usr/bin/make-kpkg clean

icosagon:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16# /usr/bin/make-kpkg clean
bash: /usr/bin/make-kpkg: No such file or directory

Steve Mayer <Stephen.Mayer@oracle.com> wrote:
> make-kpkg is a perl script.  Make sure that you have perl installed in
> the location specified on the first line of the make-kpkg script.

icosagon:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16# whereis perl
perl: /usr/lib/perl  /usr/share/perl

first line of make-kpkg is #! /usr/bin/perl

icosagon:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16# ls /usr/bin/perl
ls: /usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory
icosagon:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16# ls /usr/bin/perl*
/usr/bin/perl-5.6  /usr/bin/perl5.6.1  /usr/bin/perldoc.stub

Rick Macdonald <rickmacd@home.com> wrote:
> No, by the error message it's finding make-kpkg fine or you'd get "bash:
> qwer-qwerq: command not found". It's a perl script, and it's also finding
> perl fine, or you'd get "bad interpreter: No such file or directory". I
> think the perl script is executing a command or loading or accessing
> something that isn't being found.

I don't know perl yet, so I'm not sure about it. If you want, I can attatch
my copy of make-kpkg, but it is 978 lines long.

I want to get my system fully working eventually, so I might try the
non-debian way later on, but for now I want to continue trying with the
debian way. Should I see about downloading kernel-package from potato?

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com