Re: File Transfers

Dan <kiyose@peak.org> wrote:
> I would suggest that you look into making a ethernet-serial connector. I
> won't swear that this can be done...but I would expect that you can find
> the pin-outs for a standard 10bT connection and match them to the
> pin-outs for the DB9 connector and make a cross over cable as such. As
> long as you are running SLIP on the debian end...the windows box
> shouldn't know anything was different.
> (see http://www.pccables.com/01910.htm) for a picture of a commercial
> solution)
>
> Again YMMV. I haven't actually tried this but I have had to do transfers
> over a regular serial cable.
>
> You might also want to look at:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/

Interesting idea, I'd be able to try that if I had a second connection to
the network or the windows system. The serial-laplink howto is a document
that I tried to get to yesterday and the day before that, but I kept getting
socket errors. Today I can get through.

Right now, because of a lack of resources (such as cables), I'll try my
"dial-in" method, and hope it works. Part of this is because on the last day
of class before the winter break, I told the networking teacher (I never
took his networking courses) that I would try to get a semi-functional
network going with my systems. I now have some possibilities to connect two
of the four systems (now, how will I go about the 286 that doesn't recognise
its floppy drive and the 386sx with 1M memory and a half-installation of
MSDOS 3.3 and doesn't boot if its hardware is changed). I _really_ want to
at the very least get the two newest computers connected.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com