Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

Alec wrote:

> Debian mailing lists are mirrored on (interfaced to) USENET under
> linux.debian.*, and our email addresses aren't even scrambled! USENET is
> probably the number one source for the email address snooping spammers. Can
> they catch up with all of us one day?

The list archives are also browseable on the web, and spammers also have
email-address-collecting spiders. There's no escape. If you want list
members to be able to reply directly to you, spammers can get to you
too. Posting to the list from an invalid address would be rather rude,
I think.

Rather than trying to avoid all spam, why don't you learn to filter it?
I use SpamBouncer (http://www.spambouncer.org), which works pretty well.
Also, Yahoo helpfully inspects incoming mail for spam, and marks it with
a custom header that I can check with a procmail recipe. There are also
some other things I haven't tried, like SpamAssassin.

Craig