Re: OT: Language War (Re: "C" Manual)

On 02/01/02 Richard Cobbe did speaketh:

> > > Perl does have strong types, but they don't really correspond to the
> > > types that most people are used to thinking of.  Perl's types are

Personally, I wouldn't call Perl strongly-typed at all. I code all day
in Perl, and I love it, but I also know what a pain it can be for
programming in the large, due to all those cool features that make
coding a 1000 line script so easy.

It's difficult to call any language that doesn't include types of
return values to functions strongly typed, especially when the
existing types are all automagickally casted based on context. Most
perl errors show up at runtime, not compile time.

My biggest complaint? The dynamic binding means that you can call a
subroutine that doesn't exist, and you won't find out about it until
runtime, which may be a segment of code that executes once per
year. Typos are hell.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix