Re: Bring up ppp link on shell

* Penguin (penguin1@dodo.com.au) [Jan 02. 2002 18:25]:

> How do I bring a dialup PPP link with a shell? It's
> `ifup <iface-name>' or something? Is that all?

I use pon after I've configured ppp with pppconfig.

man pppconfig pon

> How do I tell when the link is down if I have a shell
> script for example downloading the latest Debian dist?
> Can I poll/interrogate something which will tell me?

I check for the presence of LCK..ttyS1 in /var/lock

If it's not there, I'm not connected. My modem is on ttyS1, yours might
be different.

> Cheers
> James

Happy trails.

--
Brian Clark | Avoiding the general public since 1805!
Fingerprint: 07CE FA37 8DF6 A109 8119 076B B5A2 E5FB E4D0 C7C8