[OT] Open Portable Document Format?

Hi,

(sorry for asking this here, but I'm curious about the opinions/infos)

In the good old times I advocated using pdf against other proprietary
document-formats, because it is more-or less really portable (similar
look everywhere), the viewer is accessible on most platform, and there
are available tools for creating/converting (to) pdfs (pdflatex ps2pdf
etc.). No it seems that with Adobe, pdf became a Bad Thing (TM) as well,
and for instance in the document-equivalent of GPL (I cannot recall the
exact name) pdf is mentioned as an example of non-transparent
document-format as opposed to LaTex-source etc.

My question: is there, or should not be then there a project to create
an _open_ format similar to pdf? I mean a real page-description
language, with the tools for converting from other formats etc.

Best regards: Andras