Re: Lost in apt-get

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:41:26PM -0600, camilo@cancun.com wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Im still a little confused with some aspects of apt-get and would
| like to see if someone could orient me a little, either pointing me to
| some URLs , or answering briefly...
|
| I dont quite get it, lets say i apt-get install a package... so it
| fetches the necessary files, downloads, and installs them.. but,
| where does apt-get leaves the binaries? i mean for example, i apt-
| get'ed xmms , and it downloaded and installed.. but i have no clue
| on how to launch it.

This has nothing to do with understanding apt-get.  apt-get installed
the package.  The package specifies what files there are and where
they go, etc.

To see what files a package has installed,

    dpkg -L <package name>

for xmms you'll see /usr/bin/xmms (and /usr/bin is in your PATH).

| for example, Ximian Gnome too... im in the process of apt-get'ing
| it... but after it downloads and installs, how will i launch it?

I use the gnome packages in woody.  GNOME is not a single application,
so it would take a bit more RTFM-ing to know how to start/use it.
Just put "exec gnome-session" in ~/.xsession to start gnome when you
log in (via [xgkw]dm) or when you run "startx" (if you login to a
console).

Understanding how to start/run/use a program is not an issue of
understanding apt-get, but an issue of reading that programs manuals
to learn how to use it.

HTH,
-D

--