Re: Replacing a RAID Drive

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the second system.  Shut down,
> swap drive, restart, partition new drive on system containing the
> array, raidhotadd, and you're good to go.  The only thing you're really
> buying yourself by using a separate system to do the partitioning is a
> (slightly) smaller window in which a second drive failure on the RAID
> would really screw you over.
>
> The md device remains operational through all of this, even when it's
> degraded or rebuilding.  Which is why RAID rocks.

Thank you kindly! You've just allayed all my fears. I've already done the
partitioning on the second system so that I can have a quicker reboot
tonight when I do the upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.
	-- Robert

    Robert James Kaes    ---  Flarenet Inc.  ---    (519) 426-3782
		       http://www.flarenet.com/
      * Putting the Service Back in Internet Service Provider *