Re: mail headers

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 10:57:52AM -0400, dman wrote:
> I think your headers are fine.

Yeah, after the tips you gave me they now seem to be
somewhat okay.

>     by murphy.debian.org with SMTP; Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:49:17 +0000
>
> header indicates that the MTA on murphy.debian.org recieved the
> message from your machine (the "HELO sammo" is part of the SMTP
> protocol where your machine says hello to the remote machine and gives
> its name).  I guess your machine has another name that
> murphy.debian.org found using reverse DNS lookup.

This is the remote link at my ISP (Telstra, the main telco in
Australia). Their RAS are not configured as per the relevant RFCs
so one tends to get all kinds of wonky names.

> | I neglected to ask one thing: what do I do in order to ensure that
> | when I hit reply on any of the list messages, I reply to the list
> | and not to the person who posted? Right now I have to change the
> | to address manually every time.
>
> As Colin said "L" is the "list-reply" command.  "r" replies only to
> the original sender (or whoever is in the Reply-To: header if a
> mailling list munges it) and "g" replies to all people in the To: and
>  Cc: headers (maybe Mail-followup-to: also).

Thanks very much for that - saves me a lot of typing. Now
I only need to figure out how to get my mail sorted into
folders on arrival.

Sam
--
(Sam Varghese)