Re: mail headers

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 02:46:14PM -0400, dman wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 02:54:22AM +1000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> | my mail username is sam. i log in to my workstation
> | as samuel and the machine name is sammo. on mail which
> | i send, a header "Sender: Sam Varghese <samuel@gnubies.com>"
> | appears. why, is my question.
>
> This could be added by exim when it rewrites the envelope-from
> address.  See /usr/share/doc/exim/spect.txt.gz for more details.

Thank you for your reply. I changed the envelope-from address
but the header does not change. Maybe I should edit /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow, change samuel to sam, reboot and then I won't
have this headache.

> | then there is a header "Mail-Followup-To: Sam Varghese <sam@gnubies.com>,debian-user@lists.debian.org". i can't understand why my address appears
> | in this line and would like to ensure that it is not there as i am
> | subscribed to the debian-user list.
>
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#ss6.3
>
> Look for "followup-to" and "subscribe" and "lists".  If you have
> "followup-to" set then messages to an address you are "subscribe"d to
> will have only the list address in the Mail-Followup-To: header.
> Messages to an address that is a "lists" (you are not subscribed to)
> will include your address so that you get a CC.

I've changed the settings in my .muttrc and hope it works okay now.

> | sometimes a header "samuel@sammo.gnubies.com" appears in addition
> | to all those mentioned above.
>
> Where is this header?  Is it in the "From" (not "From:") line in your
> mailbox folder?

No it appears lower down, but only very rarely.

I neglected to ask one thing: what do I do in order to ensure that
when I hit reply on any of the list messages, I reply to the list
and not to the person who posted? Right now I have to change the
to address manually every time.

Sam

--
(Sam Varghese)