Deb-Newby: Read HOWTO's?

LURKER here again. In the Configure-HOWTO file the instructions are written by a person that uses RH and the suggestions will NOT work for Deb. I know I am using a very OLD version of Deb v2.1 but that is what is on my CD I have and that is much easier to work with when if I have a problem with my modifications of some of the files, I have to reinstall it is simpler for me to use this CD instead of having to compile (which I am NOT familiar with) a new kernel, vmlinz, or what ever is needed. Can I just find a HOWTO on Configuring the different files that is for DEB?

Finally got to my question.  BAG!!

TIA,
Don Hodges
San Antonio, Texas