Deb-Newby: Read HOWTO's?

LURKER here again, what is used to read the HOWTO files? All of the ones I have on my system are ******.gz, I know that means compressed. What to use to uncompress? When I used to work on UNIX systems you used a command called "compress" with different switches to do that or to uncompress.

As usual one for the road, if those that are NOT a user nor a programmer would put in the "Subject" some thing like what I have installed would help MOA find the ones with the 'HOLD MY HAND' instructions and save me and I am sure many others much time searching for thingys that could be useful to me/us.

TIA,
Don Hodges
San Antonio, Texas