Re: [users] My Dilemma w/ ssh

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:47:05PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> it took me a while to figure out that "ssh" contains "sshd"
> whereas, say, "telnet" is the client and "telnetd" is the
> server. with "ssh" the package wonk put all pieces into the one
> package, so you get both client and server in one swell foop.
>
> probably a good reason for it, tho i dunno what it is.

I think it's because telnet is useful for non-telnet purposes, while
ssh is only set up for ssh.  For example, you can

06:54 $ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 peon ESMTP Exim 3.12 #1 Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:54:18 -0400
HELO
501 syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)

and, if you know SMTP, send yourself a message to debug your mail
server, but ssh -p 25 localhost tries to authenticate itself and just
sits there.

This seems to me a much better reason to split client and server than
"I want to telnet to other machines, but I don't want anyone to telnet
to me."

Rob

--
Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.