Re: [users] My Dilemma w/ ssh

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 04:20:43PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> Alex Strasheim wrote:
> >
> > I'm having the same problem (can't login), and hosts.deny didn't solve it.
> > I can't ssh to localhost either.
> >
> > I'm new to debian, and I'm just trying to get a usable system set up -- one
> > that I can ssh into.  I haven't figured out the package management system
> > very well, so I dl'd and built my own OpenSSH.  On an earlier install, I did
> > exactly the same thing and it worked -- this time I selected MD5 passwords,
> > and I think that's tripping me up.  I remember getting hung up with this on
> > slackware, too, but I can't remember what I did.  I added the OpenSSH
> > example PAM file to /etc/pam.d, but that didn't do it.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> You have to learn APT as this is one of the main reasons to use Debian.
>
> Check this out.
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/apt-get-intro.html

[thanks for the referral! cool...]

> As root, apt-get install ssh
>
> That's it.

it took me a while to figure out that "ssh" contains "sshd"
whereas, say, "telnet" is the client and "telnetd" is the
server. with "ssh" the package wonk put all pieces into the one
package, so you get both client and server in one swell foop.

probably a good reason for it, tho i dunno what it is.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #14 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: