Re: aol

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Kent West wrote:
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > Whatever you do, be sure to send an email to AOL about
> > their lack of support - particularly if you switch
> > providers. Vote with your pocketbook. Granted, if you're
> > the only guy who does it, they'll probably not get too
> > upset. But, as Arlo Guthrie says, if fifty people do it,
> > they might think it's a movement... :)
>
> I had an AOL account two or three years ago. I either called or emailed
> them (I don't remember which) and asked if they had a Linux client. When
> they responded "no", I cancelled my account and told them I was now a
> Linux user. So that makes at least one (former) customer they've heard
> from.

Good for you! :) Earthlink has earned my business because
when I called about setting up ISP service with them, the
customer support guy responded positively about Linux and
gave me all the info I needed to set up my connection.

Some companies listen, some don't. Yahoo!, for example, finally
has a client for just about every platform for their IM client,
including Linux. And if it's not directly supported, you can
use the Java client.

I'm hoping that someone will come up with a Free Software
equivalent of QuarkXPress as good as the Gimp. I've contacted
Quark a few times, and they still thumb their nose at Linux -
which is a shame, because I'm sure a lot of publishers would
like to be able to run their art departments on a stable OS.
I started on computers in an art department using Quark on
MacOS 7.1... the "save" hotkey combination was hard-wired
into my brain after about two days because I was constantly
getting unexplained system errors.

Too bad AOL isn't more clueful... someday AOL could stand
for America On Linux instead of America Off-Line...

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier@earthlink.net
http://www.ZonkerBooks.net/ -=- ICQ: 43599611