Re: X memory problem

> > some info:
> > P III 550
> > Diamond Viper 770 Ultra
> > 512 Mb RAM (2x 128 Mb pc100 and 1x 256 Mb pc133)
> > XFree86 4.0.3 (not debian)
> > SDL 1.2.0
> > avifile 0.53.5
> > KDE 2.1.1 (but I also have it in the XDM login screen or with startx, so
> > this is not a problem).

> Did you configure KDE to automatically save the desktop when exiting. If
> so change it to save the desktop manually. Then use annilate to destroy
> the offending feature, check for running processes with the KDE desktop
> manager and save the desktop when it has what you want on it.

No, it asks it, but I really don't think it has anything to do with the
windowmanager, since it's there using XDM (before logging in to KDE, but
I'll check your suggestion and see if makes any difference).

> Did you upgrade the kernel? If not you should start there, by getting &
> installing the 2.4.xx from unstable or better yet from
> http://www.kernel.org and compiling a new one for your system. Please
> chack the mail archives as there are numerous references to doing this
> there.

Normally I don't forget these basic things, so sorry for this. I am using
the 2.4.3 kernel with the matching modutils.
Would you suggest using an AC kernel?

> I am curious as to why you would use a different XFree86 than the one in
> the Debian distro. You also did not mention whether or not other
> applications operate properly...Do they? Also, if you have used a
> previously populated file system...Maybe the one from SuSe, there will
> be other problems. You should remove any existing dot files from any
> user directory including root. This will require reconfiguring those
> applications, but will eliminate a lot of problems. Good luck!!

I know, but by the time I did all the changes, I wanted to rule out one of
the last things I could see that had some effect. I always used the X from
the FTP site, since the commercial distributions are normally not as fast
to upgrade as debian and I knew that configuration worked for me before.

All my applications operate properly (except aviplay and Quake that has a
lower framerate that I suspect, also the intro is very shaky).

I didn't retain 2.0 ext2fs compatibility in the installation of debian. I
can remove all dot files without nay problem, but since I didn't restore
the root homedir (why shoud I, I am not using it) and the green screen is
there before logging in (from the moment X starts).
I will try this, because by now, I am ready to do anything suggested to
find the problem. :)

	Marc.