Re: remote x via ssh question

on Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 03:29:51AM -0600, Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 04:22:31AM -0500, D-Man wrote:
> >
> > This thread has invoked some curiosity in me.  If I use ssh to forward
> > X connections, does that mean I can use X through an IP masquerading
> > router?
>
> Yup, if the box you're sitting at is inside the firewall.  It's a bit
> trickier the other way around.

In which case, the usual answer is to build a bridge through the
firewall, either by initiating an outbound ssh session from your
internal box, or by having an account on the firewall itself.  See the
Firewall-Piercing HOWTO for more info.  Note that you should clear
whatever methods you use with your organization's security policy.
Personal or legal consequences may result.

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Firewall-Piercing.html