Re: remote x via ssh question

Lo, on , January 1, Forrest English did write:

[reformatted for 80 columns]

> i know i can export it just like i would any other time, but i also set
> X11Forwarding yes, which i belive should forward it automaticaly, and
> here's what i recive when i try and run
>
> [forrest@truffula forrest]$ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

This is a little unclear.  Is truffula the ssh server or client?  Also,
where did you set X11Forwarding to yes---server or client?  (I think it
needs to be in both places.)

> (this is from my other box, which is a mandrake machine).  it seems to be
> the same thing that happens when i try and run an application localy as
> root while using x as user.  so, i guess i'm wondering how i'd fix that
> too.  are there some permisions that need to be set correctly, so that i
> can run applications as a user other than the user that is currently
> using x?

Yes, but that's not what's giving you this error message.  To fix the
local/root problem:

su
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
xauth merge ~forrest/.Xauthority
xterm

where forrest is the name of the user who started X, either via startx or
through an [xkg]dm login.

You'll need to reset DISPLAY each time root logs in, and you'll need to
remerge the xauthority crud each time you restart the X server.

Richard