Re: Xwoes continue: tried to apt-get install xserver-common, but...

<<  apt-get reports xserver-common is already the newest version.

 > Well, the newest version doesn't work.  On startx, I get the errno=111
 > error message; and then after that
 >
 > xinit: No such process (errno3): server error

 You've tried to configure your server first with, say, XF86Setup (for
 XFree86 v3, not sure for v4)?

 > Really, newbie is stuck, Stuck, STUCK.  TiA for clues.
 >
 > dave
 >
 > PS: I have tried to get a more verbose error message, but maybe I don't
 > know how to do it right.

 startx -- 2>&1 | tee startx.log

 ...copy this to your Legacy MS Windows system somehow (network or
 msdos formatted floppy), and include it in your AOL (ugh! ;-) mail
 message.

? Progress?

startx still doesn't produce much output, but I find XF86_W32  in usr/bin
folder.  Lots of output.  Can't copy to you yet, because <mount -t msdos
/dev/fd0 /floppy) says device is not a valid block device.  Good grief.
That's the only way I can think to bring it over to AOL.  Anyway,
log complains about my Hsync rate and deletes all modes.  I found
the XF86Config file in usr/X11R6/lib/X11/  and tried to edit it with
vi.  Failed.  :i   used to let me insert text (I thought), but not today for
some reason.

Will get rid of AOL when I complete my migration to Linux in the next
few ?days, ??weeks, ???months, ????years.  I've already been trying
a long time.

Happy New Year, and thanks for your help.

dave