Re: The only non-beep sound I can get is a SQUAWK

ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:
> have you considered upgrading the kernel? you might also need to reinstall
> gcc. it's sounding more and more like you've got a busted system. when
> configure fails, what's it telling you in the output?

Even before this message I had thought of reinstalling gcc, and did. I still
couldn't compile "Hello, world", which I consider a little embarassing, but
not without precedent (on one of my systems, a Windows box, I have compilers
and interpreters for 9 (never realised how many) different languages, and
only the qbasic interpreter, that came with MSDOS 5.0, and compiler for
turing work properly (I think)).

I have thought of upgrading the kernel, but I want to first figure out how
to connect this system to my Windows box (the only machine with access to
the network, and the internet, and I'm not allowed to install Linux on it)
to make file transfers easier (all my file transfers are by floppy). Of
course, being a Windows machine with typical Windows problems, that system
is difficult to reach (SLIP & PLIP cannot be done for various reasons, and
neither can ethernet).

Anyway, I have the output here. The output was the same both before and
after the reinstallation of gcc, so there is only this one file. All of the
text except for

	expr: syntax error

was on stdout. Those lines were on stderr.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com