RE: MAC Address and Ethx

Bob Underwood <mgkrebs1@home.com> wrote:

I had a phone call from my Cable ISP the other day, stating that I should reconfigure my computer or risk losing connectivity. The web site they pointed me to is a windows site, basic config stuff. Later phone call to tech service (level one and level two) confirms they are going to start checking the MAC addy of the modem as opposed to my previous @home username, etc. Level one actually told me that my choices are to either find a new ISP or use windows.

Is there a way to pass the modem MAC address along to the network in the ifconfig? If so, how would I do that?

TIA

Bob

Bob,

I think there may be a bit of over-reacting to the situation here (including the level 1 and 2 tech support folks). I sounds like they are upgrading their DHCP servers to assign your IP according to the MAC address, which they probably should have been doing in the first place. Maybe they have, and are just now starting to pay attention to it. This allows them to easily monitor how many computers you have connected to THEIR network and charge you accordingly. If you are using a NAT or IPMasq setup, then all they ever should see is ONE computer connected. I have been using Road Runner here for about a year and a half using an IPMasq box for my home LAN, and this is the way they have done it since I have been connected. About the only "problem" I have found (and it is only a 'nit') is that if I connect to the Cable Modem with another NIC in another computer, I have to power-down and power-up the Cable Modem to get it to issue a new IP based on the new MAC address. This is quite infrequent here... mainly for diagnotic purposes when working with their Tech Support.

This is a PROTOCOL issue, not an OS issue. Any OS that has a standards-compliant DHCP-Client program will work, as the identification of the MAC address upon a request to the DHCP Server is part of the protocol. All of the DHCP clients that I have used in Linux, are "standards-compliant" in this regard and work just fine. I am currently using the "dhcp-client" program from Debian Woody, and it works just fine out-of-the-box without ANY extra config on my part, except to idetify which NIC to use for DHCP in my /etc/network/interfaces file.

If you have set up your NIC to connect to the Cable Modem device using a "static" ip, I would highly recommend switching to a dhcp client of some sort (Pump or dhcp-client) as a "static" IP connection will not provide the MAC address info.

Otherwise, if you already are using a dhcp client to get your IP from your ISP and they are still complaining, then something else is wrong.... and it COULD be on their side with their DHCP Server!! Is anyone else having this same problem in your area??

In this case it would probably be in your best interests to grab / borrow a Windows box and work with them to make sure it can connect "properly" to their satisfaction. This will get the argument out of the "We don't support Linux" arena and pin-point where the problem is located.

If the Windows --> Cable Modem connection can be made to work to their satisfaction, then they are right and something is not configured / working properly on YOUR side. About the only thing I can think of that would do that is a "static" IP config mentioned above. The existing dhcp clients for Linux should work as well or better than the one in Windows.

It seems to me that they cannot "require" you to use Windows. I am not a lawyer, but that would appear to be a restraint of trade issue. I bet a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission or equivalent with a CC to your ISP would make that issue go away! They can reasonable refuse to provide technical "SUPPORT" via phone or E-Mail but they can't refuse to provide service to standards-compliant software. What about their Macintosh owners??

Finally, why not go to another ISP service? Is @home the only game around? I have never personally used @home, but my perceptions from reading lots of messages here and on other boards is that they DON'T provide the level of service most other broadband services do. I am quite happy with Road Runner, and they have never given me any guff about running Linux here. I am certain there are other broadband services too that will treat you better and work with you in a more "user-friendly" manner to solve mutual problems. The only "gotcha" is their availabilty in your area.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers & Good Luck
-Don Spoon-