unresolved symbols in modules - GPL issues?

Hopefully someone can help with this. I am trying to get my linksys
WPC11 card working on my laptop running Debian woody.

I compiled kernel and modules, including pcmcia (Debian 2.2.20
source, pcmcia_cs source 3.3.30 from sourceforge.net - Debian
pcmcia_cs source wouldn't compile for some reason) and compiled the
prism2 wireless drivers using the linux-wlan-ng-0.1.12. package at
ftp.linux-wlan.org No problem so far. Installed modules (kernel
source, pcmcia_cs, and wireless, and booted with the new kernel. My
Xircom ethernet/modem combo card works fine, along with everything
else, but lsmod doesn't show any wireless modules. "depmod" gives me:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/prism2_cs.0
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/usb/usbcore.o

"insmod prism2_cs" gives a whole list of unresolved sumbols and ends
with "Note: modules without a GPL compatible license cannot use
GPLONLY_ symbols
insmod prism2_cs failed"

I get the same GPL note for "insmod usbcore", so I don't think it's a
problem with the prism2 drivers, but before I spend hours trying
different things (earlier version of pcmcia_cs source?) I'll ask if
any of you have experienced this and know what I can do to fix it.

Thanks for your time.

Michael Dickey