Re: Advice for fetchmail & exim config

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 07:45:06PM -0800, scott worley wrote:

> Trying to setup fetchmail & exim.

   Hi there!

   I'll just put it the way it works for me.  I'm not satisfied with my
configuration but it actually works :)

> When fetchmail is executed I get a rejection error message from exim
> which has
> ...reject relay (host) ...

   By default, exim drops every incoming mail which has a recipient
domain that doesn't match any of the local_domains or the relay_domains
values defined in exim.conf

   Eg. if your host is localhost.localdomain, exim will not accept any
emails targeted to user@isp.net.  You can override this by adding
isp.net to the relay_domains list in exim's configuration.

> Does exim think I'm trying to use it as a relay host?
>
> Most confusing is how should the incoming/outgoing filtering/header
> rewrite be done?  I'm looking for a good example of exim configuration
> for simple case of having localuser@localhost able to send/receive local
> mail and be able to send/receive mail from stupidname@isp.net.

   As far as I know, when a, correctly configured, smtpd accepts
incoming mail, it checks whether the sender domain found in the headers
equals to a dns response regarding your current IP.

   Eg. when connecting to the net using isp.net dialup, you will be
assigned a dynamic IP which resolves as part of the isp.net domain.
Now if you try to send an email, while using isp.net's dialup
connection, with a from header of, say, user@localhost.localdomain it
won't (or it shouldn't) work.

   By default, exim qualifies[1] unqualified[2] email using the
primary_hostname value.  A workaround for this is to configure exim to
qualify outgoing email with the domain isp.net, by adding it to the
qualify_domain list.

   Unfortunately this means that every mail originating from your host
will have a domain of isp.net.  Eg. emails from cron jobs come from
root@isp.net instead of root@localhost.localdomain

   If you do set qualify_domain = isp.net, it's a good idea to set
qualify_recipient = localhost.localdomain so that unqualified recipient
addresses _will_ remain within your host.  Eg.

      echo test | mail root

must be sent to root@localhost and not root@isp.net!

Feel free to propose any better approach ...

HTH!

Best wishes to all the Debian fellows!

[1] this applies only for emails originating from localhost
[2] eg. without a domain value after ``@''

--
Serafim Zanikolas                                       Proud of running
http://www.it.teithe.gr/~serzan                         Debian GNU/Linux