Re: trident: incredibly crappy sound

On Saturday 29 December 2001 18:19, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Ray <maillists@sonictech.net> [2001.12.30.0002
+0100]:

> i am not giving up. i can't, it's got no ISA slots. otherwise,
> i would have used the SB16 i still have (which, mind me, is
> still a very good piece of hardware from times back when not
> everyone tried to save money at the expense of quality...),
> and it was just very decently priced...
>
> i do have those modules loaded, among others, but i get no
> conflicts or errors when loading trident.o. it even says that
> it's initialized fine, and the audio isn't interrupted or
> anything (suggesting an IRQ conflict), it's just bloody
> distorted...
>
> any other clues?
> thanks for answering though!

I have the same problem.

#lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host
(rev 02)
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
	Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
	Capabilities: [c0] AGP version 2.0

00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio
Accelerator

#lsmod
trident                18556   1
soundcore               3044   2  [trident]
ac97_codec              7620   0  [trident]

The wierd thing is I had this same system running with sound
perfectly when I was running Progeny.  I upgraded to woody and
it hasn't been the same since.

All I seem to get to work is the gtk-events/toggled,
gtk-events/clicked, and the sound for closing windows.  What's
really strange is I can't get any of the sounds under gnome
control center Multimedia->Sound->Sound events to play at all.
However, I installed the esound sound monitor applet and
right-click->Manager->Samples, when I click on these, they all
play perfectly?!

I'm at a loss as well.

Jesse