Re: trident: incredibly crappy sound

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 08:05:19PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> by now, i have two of those SiS chipset pieces of crap under my
> control... but what do you do if someone offers a $300 computer with
> 1.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, 16x CD-RW, DVD, and a 60Gb Hdd???

FWIW the recent (and even not so recent) SiS chipsets are actually pretty
good.  What exactly makes you think this is some sort of chipset defect?

> anyway, both are equipped with the SiS 630 chipset, and both "feature"
> the SiS 7018 audio controller (it's just not a soundcard...):

I'm pretty sure this is the same as in the SiS730S based board I haverunning
in the other room...

> 00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
>
> according to various sources, the kernel config help, and alsa, the
> responsible driver is the trident driver, available as a kernel
> option/module, and with alsa.

Right, I'm using the kernel's trident.o as well.

> now i tried all, the kernel's trident.o, compiling into the kernel, and
> alsa, but with all permutations and combinations, i get the crappiest
> output that i've ever heard. it's all thoroughly distorted so you can
> almost not make out what you are listening to.

It's working fine here so don't give up.  Are you using a sound daemon such
as esound etc...?  What sort of sound samples are you using? What are you
using to play them?  The sound modules that are loaded on my system are
trident.o, soundcore, and ac97_codec.  I only had to load trident.o
explicitly (in /etc/modules) and the rest were loaded automagically.  I'm
using the 2.2.19 kernel.  Do you have any other devices installed in the
system that could be causing a conflict?

--
Ray