Re: Need advice on Linux Programming tool

Aldous B Bernardo wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to ask for some advice on what programming tools can I
> use in developing Linux apps. I've been developing Windoze
> applications for about 3 years and would like to shift to Linux.
> I'm interested in GUI tools for X, preferably using KDE ( Gnome
> would be great too). i've been using Delphi for my Windoze apps- I
> know that there is Kylix but I would like to know of similar if not
> better tools. Console programming tools would be nice too.
>
> Aldous

If you're used to Delphi, why switch? With Kylix, you have a familiar development environment, which reduces the learning curve. And it can compile as a Windows application with Delphi 6 with little changes, as long as you don't use any Linux specific calls. (Actually, with conditionals, you can have both Windows and Linux specific calls.)

I found, as a Delphi developer, that I could start using Kylix almost immediately. I've been converting some of the KDE library calls to Pascal, as well as working with SDL. With a little discipline, I could take my SDL applications from my Linux box and have a Windows application with no changes in the code.

But, that's just me.  Your mileage may vary.
Logan Bear