Re: Mounting floppy. Newbie #61

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:23:24PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
| On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:13:32AM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
| > On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 03:12:54PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
| > >
| > > # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
| > > # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
| > > # mount -t auto /dev/fdo /floppy
| >                          ^
| > Make sure you typed zero and not "letter-Oh"...  I realise
|
| oh ye of little faith
|
| > I assume it was a msdos-formatted floppy?
|
| Yes, can you in fact get any others?

Do you mean, "can you get another msdos-formatted floppy"?  You can do
this my simply formatting any floppy as 'msdos' format.

| If you put in a dos-formatted
| disk is it written to in msdos format or does the format refer only
| to the tracks and does Debian establish an ext2 file system on it by
| default?

Unix won't put a filesystem on a disk unless you tell it to
('man mkfs').  If you mount it as "msdos" then it is treated as msdos.
It is read and written to using the msdos format.  The same goes for
"vfat", "ext2", "minix", etc.  Note the difference between "msdos" and
"vfat" -- the former has only 8.3 filenames and the latter only works
with win32 systems (ie not DOS or Win3.1).  There is a little
problem/annoyance though.  By default if you use the 'auto' option,
msdos is found even when you have a vfat disk.  This is totally
functional, aside from the filename limitations.  To change the order
in which mount tries filesystems with the type "auto" create
/etc/filesystems with the following contents (adjust to suite taste) :

----------
ext2
vfat
msdos
iso9660
----------

(you don't need to list every filesystem type, just the ones you want
to control the order of).

| > I assume that you can read the floppy from a dos machine?
|
| No, I regret that it cannot do this, but I assumed this was because
| by now it had been turned into a linux disk with an ext2 file system

If you can't read the msdos/vfat disk on a MS system, then it means
the filesystem is destroyed.  Your only option now is to reformat the
disk and use it as a new one.

| If we can retrieve the info, great, if not, then it is all a
| learning experience.

An expert with the lowlevel details of disks and filesystems may be
able to recover some data from it, but those experts are not cheap
(nor am I one of them).

-D

--

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.