Re: How do I stop X

Thanks to all that responded.

dman wrote:

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:35:26PM -0800, Dennis Krinke,,, wrote:
| I would like to change configuration
| so that I boot into a console,
| rather than to X-windows graphical login.
| | I tried changing /etc/inittab line 5 from
|   id:5:initdefault:  to
|   id:2:initdefault:
| but this did not do it...

To disable X's starting at boot you need to disable your display
manager in the runlevel you are booting to.  My system boots to run
level 2, and I use 'gdm' as my display manager.  The simplest way for
me to stop gdm from starting is (as root) :
   mv /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm /etc/rc2.d/notS99gdm

This worked! (for xdm)

To understand _why_ this stops gdm from starting on boot read up on
how SysV init works.

OK, I browsed man sys(8) init.
That did help a little.
Perhaps that plus other reading and more time
will help more...
Dennis Krinke