Re: Fonts' strategy

paca@noos.fr wrote:
> which fonts should I install and why would I install xfs ?

  font server is useful if you want to provide fonts for more than one X
server, otherwise you don't have a reason to run it (AFAIK)

> how can I use fonts from Windows ?

  apt-get install msttcorefonts

  if you have more true type fonts you need to have them accessible from
linux, add a font path in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and run mkfontdir for
that directory (actually it's mkttfdir for true type fonts, there's also
alternate utility with very similar name), not sure if latest mkfontdir
supports true type fonts...

  that's assuming you are using X 4.x which has support for true type
fonts, for older X 3.x you'd have to use separate font server (there are
few available, not sure which is better)

	erik