Re: xconsole omnipresence and 100% CPU usage

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> on Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:17:46AM -0500, Noah Meyerhans (noahm@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:50:58AM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > >
> > > No, but it's a known bug in wmaker that's been there for a while.  For
> > > me, making any window omnipresent will pin the cpu usage at 100%.  I
> > > gave up on wmaker and switched to KDE.
> > >

> > Actually, it is trivial to work around.  There are two ways to make a
> > window omnipresent in wmaker.  One involves bringing up the window's
> > "Attributes" screen and selecting omnipresent in there.  This is what
> > triggers the bug.
> >
> > But there's another, even easier way to make windows omnipresent that
> > does not trigger this bug.  In the window's title-bar menu, select
> > Options -> Omnipresent.  The window now becomes omnipresent and the CPU
> > usage remains sane.
>
> Actually, that pins CPU on my box.
>
> The other alternative is to use the "Attributes..." dialog.  Selecting
> "omnipresent" here *doesnt'* pin CPU.
>
> > I didn't even realize there was a bug until just now.  I'd been using
> > the second way of making windows omnipresent since wmaker
> > 0.2.something and never even realized that the problem existed.
>
> wmaker 0.70.1
>
> Still, I think Brian's being a bit oversensitive on this.  WMaker's a
> nice, flexible, unobtrusive window manager.

Well, that's not my only beef with WMaker.  Also on that list:

- won't restore emacs21 windows
- won't restore galeon windows' positions correctly
- won't save the omnipresent attribute across sessions (I had to hack
- the WMWindowAttributes by hand)

Also, another problem I had was that I wanted two icons (appicons, or
whatever they're called in wmaker) to reside in the dock, one of which
would launch "/usr/bin/emacs" on workspace 4 and the other
"/usr/bin/emacs -f gnus" on workspace 2.  Whether my own
misunderstanding was at fault or not, I was unable to do this seemingly
simple configuration.  Either both appicons would launch emacs to the
same workspace, or both would launch emacs -f gnus to the same
workspace.

However, I was able to configure KDE to function more or less how I
wanted, though I don't particularly like KDE's cluttered taskbar.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org