Re: xconsole omnipresence and 100% CPU usage

on Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:17:46AM -0500, Noah Meyerhans (noahm@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:50:58AM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> >
> > No, but it's a known bug in wmaker that's been there for a while.  For
> > me, making any window omnipresent will pin the cpu usage at 100%.  I
> > gave up on wmaker and switched to KDE.
> >

> Actually, it is trivial to work around.  There are two ways to make a
> window omnipresent in wmaker.  One involves bringing up the window's
> "Attributes" screen and selecting omnipresent in there.  This is what
> triggers the bug.
>
> But there's another, even easier way to make windows omnipresent that
> does not trigger this bug.  In the window's title-bar menu, select
> Options -> Omnipresent.  The window now becomes omnipresent and the CPU
> usage remains sane.

Actually, that pins CPU on my box.

The other alternative is to use the "Attributes..." dialog.  Selecting
"omnipresent" here *doesnt'* pin CPU.

> I didn't even realize there was a bug until just now.  I'd been using
> the second way of making windows omnipresent since wmaker
> 0.2.something and never even realized that the problem existed.

wmaker 0.70.1

Still, I think Brian's being a bit oversensitive on this.  WMaker's a
nice, flexible, unobtrusive window manager.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org