problem with VNC on Debian Woody

I have just installed VNC on a Linux box (Debian Woody) that I am going to run without a monitor and keyboard. If I start the server on the Linux box then I can log-in from windows and see the KDE desktop, however I needed to be able to have it listening for connections so I have followed the instructions here:

http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~andre/extern/ixvnc.htm

and I can now start vnc up by asking for a connection from my windows machine, however it starts up with the grey screen and cursor. I've read various solutions to this problem however most of them seem to point to files that aren't on my system.

I have xdm and kdm installed, and I just grabbed twm to see if it would help however the problem is still the same. I installed the vncserver via apt from the testing packages, I'm not sure what version that gives me.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated, I'm sure I'm not far off I just can't see to find a file that will let me tell vnc to give me a login.

Rachel