Re: How X keyboard maps work in Deb

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Wiley <greg@orthogony.com> writes:

Greg> Does Debian put the 'kbd' file in /etc/X11? Is it even needed
Greg> under Debian or is some other mechanism used to do keyboard
Greg> mapping? If it turns out that I need the file, what package
Greg> contains it?

AFAIK, X11 doesn't use a `kbd' file. This is probably something for
another distribution.

You need to edit the file /etc/XF86Config (or /etc/XF86Config-4). Look
for lines like this:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Change the XkbLayout parameter to the keyboard you have.

(Alternatively, run xf86config to review all X11 settings.)

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>