How X keyboard maps work in Deb

Does Debian put the 'kbd' file in /etc/X11?  Is
it even needed under Debian or is some other
mechanism used to do keyboard mapping?
If it turns out that I need the file, what package
contains it?

I have been informed that I need this file to
solve an application problem (described  below)
but before I research their prescribed fix,
I want to make sure that Deb doesn't add some
additional configuration indirection that will
render the fix inaffectual, or, worse, mess up
the Debian configuration for future upgrades.

I use Blender on two Woody workstations and
have noticed that the numeric keypad controls
work correctly on one system and not at all on
the other.  The primary difference between the
two systems is one was originally a Potato and
the other has been a Woody all its life.  The one
that works is the Woody-since-birth machine.

The Blender FAQ's tell me to check for a file
called 'kbd' in /etc/X11 .  It's not there on the
broken machine.  I will check for it's presence
on the working machine once I get home tonight
but I'd really like to get this machine working
today.

The Blender FAQ suggests that I re-install all the
files in /etc/X11 and re-configure XFree86 but
I'm not willing to perform that kind of radical
surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

  -=greg