Re: Kernel compilation

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001, Jens Müller wrote:
> I have tried to compile my own kernel 2.4.16. I took the config file
> k7 from the Debian kernel source, and just activated acpi
> additionally.

Hi Jens!

> When I installed it, that kernel complained about not being able to
> mount the root device.
>
> Maybe it has something to do with that the Debian kernel has an initrd
> and mine hasn't? Is an initrd necessary?

No, it's not necessary but if your config files assume initrd (in
other words, you've compiled it in), you have to make it work, or
compile with alternate config files that don't assume initrd.

Make sure you have the proper 'initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.16' (or similar path
to your initrd image) in your 'lilo.conf' and rerun lilo.

Are you using kernel-package to compile your kernel (I'd suggest you
do, if you're not)?

Have you installed initrd-tools?

HTH,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics