Re: init

(brianj@fusionwerks.com) wrote:
> > I'm sure I missed this memo, but why is init suddenly showing in
> > the process list as `init [2]   --init'? Ie., with the spaces and
> > --init
> >
> > This is on woody. My potato system isn't like this, so I was
> > wondering what has changed, if anything?
> >
> > I'm hoping this is normal..
>
> I think the PS reporting's changed somewhat.  Programs can now output
> status information in the COMMAND field, IIRC.  This isn't restricted
> to Debian, I think I first ran across this on the OpebBSD-misc list.
>
> FWIW, I've also got 'init[2]', on two of my Sid systems, but not the
> other two (the two absentees being the most recently rebooted of the
> four, and at least one of them being pretty up-to-date).

Now, I find this interesting. Is there something inherently wrong with
getting an "init [2]"? The two times I noticed it, I could no longer do
a hardware-initiated suspend (pressing the power button <4 secs.). I
felt it was time for a reboot.

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."