Re: Where to slice a 2 gig drive ?

on Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 02:41:15AM +0000, Frank Copeland (fjc@thingy.apana.org.au) wrote:
> On 22 Dec 01 23:44:12 GMT, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > on Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:39:39PM -0500, lee (lnx@alltel.net) wrote:
>
> >> Ok..I'm fairly new to linux and extremely new to debian (was mandrake
> >> 8.1)..I'm attempting to install 2.2r2 on a 2 gig drive here and not
> >> really sure where to carve this drive up. I'm planning on using this
> >> box as a proxy for 6 other machines (combo of linux/98se). Linux docs
> >> has a few articles on this but I thought I'd come straight to the
> >> horses mouth to learn what might be best :-)
> >
> > 2 GB is a bit on the smallish side.
>
> 2 GB is perfectly adequate for the task. I ran far more than just a
> proxy on 2 GB for years.

Agreed.  It's small, but not inappropriate or inadequate for the task at
hand.

> > If you're using it as a proxy, I'd
> > probably set up /, /tmp, /usr, and /var as separate partitions.
> > Depending on what proxy services you're offering, you might want to make
> > /var the bulk of the partitions (squid, ferexample, dumps its cache
> > there).
>
> I'd avoid complicated partitioning schemes, especially if you have no
> previous experience running a server with the sort of workload you are
> expecting.

...ah, but that's where I stand in ;-)

I'm running a gateway/proxy on a 2GB system, with a largely similar
configuration (suitably mapped from an OpenBSD config).

There _are_ specific reasons for splitting up the system as I'd
suggested.  First, the overall overhead is reasonably low -- about 25%
of the disk, possibly less.  And the hint for gpartd is probably well
considered.  Splitting out /usr may not be strictly necessary, but I'd
still put /tmp and /var on their own partitions, as being able to
contain their growth could be the distinction between a system that
needs administrative intervention, and one that needs a hard reset.

For a gateway, putting /usr on its own partition means you can mount
this read-only, and partitions other than / and /usr as nosuid.  This is
a marginal amount of extra security, but may make the difference.

> The rest can go into a single / partition. If this ends up bigger than
> 500 - 600 MB, make the /var/spool partition bigger.
                                              ^^^^^^
...for very small values of bigger?  ;-)

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org