Re: Making installation cd from cached files

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 07:11:18PM -0700, Dan Owens wrote:

   > When I have tried using a cd made from the cache, I get a message that there
   > is no package list and I don't know what list I would include or where it
   > should be included.

Use apt-move to create the requisite directory structure for debian.

Edit the /etc/apt-move.conf

#APTSITES="debian.midco.net non-us.debian.org"  <-- This is the default.
APTSITES="ftp.debian.org"        <-- CHange it to this + whatever you
                                     have in /etc/apt/sources.list
                                     like non-US, etc

# The architectures that your site contain, separated with spaces.
#ARCHS="alpha arm hurd-i386 i386 m68k powerpc sparc"
ARCHS="i386"            <- I have only i386

# The absolute path to your debian directory (top of your local mirror).
# This MUST appear as the first entry of your sources.list if you use
# sync or mirror.
#LOCALDIR=/mirrors/debian
LOCALDIR=/mnt/debian            <-- Where you want the packages to go

# The distribution you want to mirror (see the apt-move(8) manpage for
# details)
#DIST=potato
DIST=woody                   <-- Mine is that

After that you just have to make an iso image of the directory
under /mnt/debian. Then you can burn the cd and use it to install on
other machines.

HTH,

--
Sridhar M.A.                         mas@uomphysics.net

All husbands are alike, but they have different faces so you can tell
them apart.