Re: ide tape errors

On Sun, 2001-12-23 at 11:05, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> [2001.12.23.0501 +0100]:
> > This is the correct media for the drive to read and write?
>
> good question. i don't know. it's a travan drive, so i'd say that all
> TR-3 and TR-4 should work. i do have the original tape that shipped
> with the drive though, and that doesn't work either...

If it's the original tape I'm betting that the drive just isn't going to
work well with linux.  Perhaps asking the ide-tape device driver author
will help.

> > It's correctly installed on the ide chain?  Does the manual have
> > anything to say about needing to be a master or slave?
>
> the bios detects it, and so does linux, so this leads me to believe
> that yes. and it is!

I was sure you had, but sometimes we all just miss that one easy step
... usually after an all night session of hacking/admining etc.

> > I once tried to use an ide-tape drive with 4/8 gb travan tapes to no
> > avail.  Even though I could dump to the drive I never could get anything
> > back.  I'd check it very well before you trust it.
>
> mh, that's no good news...

Yeah, I was lucky enough to be able to find several "junk" SCSI DDS 1
and 2 tape drives lying around.  Works well for me.  If I had the cash
I'd probably go DDS-3 or 4 depending on how much I could burn.

--mike