Re: ide tape errors

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 07:30, martin f krafft wrote:

> piper:/dev# mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
> mt: /dev/ht0: Device or resource busy
> piper:/dev#
>
> gives:
>
> ide-tape: Reached idetape_chrdev_open
> ide-tape: Reached idetape_read_position
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 10, key =  3, asc = 30, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 34, key =  3, asc = 30, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: Reached idetape_read_position_callback
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =  3, asc = 30, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  0, key =  3, asc = 30, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: drive not ready
>
> should i give up on the drive? or am i doing something wrong?
> thanks!

Only questions that I can think of:

This is the correct media for the drive to read and write?
I did this once with wrong media and the drive would load but no mt tape
moving commands would ever work.

It's correctly installed on the ide chain?  Does the manual have
anything to say about needing to be a master or slave?

As an aside:

I once tried to use an ide-tape drive with 4/8 gb travan tapes to no
avail.  Even though I could dump to the drive I never could get anything
back.  I'd check it very well before you trust it.

--mike