Re: /dev/cdrom problem...

To reply to my own post -

I think the problem is in /etc/init.d/iscover:

"
# Link /dev/cdromX to all detected CD drives, and create mount points:
CDNUM=1
for CDROM in `discover --device cdrom`
do
    if [ ! -e $CDROM ]
    then
        echo -n "discover reports that $CDROM is the CD-ROM device, but it "
        echo "does not exist. Not updating /dev/cdrom$CDNUM."
    elif [ ! -b $CDROM ]
    then
        echo -n "discover reports that $CDROM is the CD-ROM device, but it "
        echo "is not a block device. Not updating /dev/cdrom$CDNUM."
    elif [ -e /dev/cdrom$CDNUM -a ! -L /dev/cdrom$CDNUM ]
    then
        echo -n "/dev/cdrom$CDNUM exists and is not a symlink.  Not updating "
        echo "/dev/cdrom$CDNUM."
        CDNUM=`expr $CDNUM + 1`
    else
        ln -fs $CDROM /dev/cdrom$CDNUM
        mkdir /cdrom$CDNUM
        CDNUM=`expr $CDNUM + 1`
    fi
done

# Link /dev/cdrom to the appropriate device:
if [ -e /dev/cdrom1 ]
then
    if [ -L /dev/cdrom -o ! -e /dev/cdrom ]
    then
        ln -fs /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrom
    else
        echo "/dev/cdrom exists and is not a symlink.  Not updating
/dev/cdrom."
    fi
else
    echo "No CD-ROM drives found."
fi
"

this script is calling /sbin/discover, which returns a list of path names to
devices specified on the command line (in this case "--device cdrom"), but
the list is coming out in "reverse" order, i.e. hdd before hdc. Anyone else
have this problem? Is this a bug?

Cheers,

JP