Configuring dhcpd problem

Hi all !

I have a proxy and I want it to serve IP addresses to the internal
network using dhcpd.
/etc/dhcpd.conf describes the internal subnet only, which corresponds
to the interface eth1.
Looking in /var/log/daemon.log, dhcpd is complaining that there is no
declaration for the subnet corresponding to interface eth0, which I
don't want dhcpd to serve IP addresses to.
I've been told to look in the script /etc/init.d/dhcp and add the
interface I want dhcpd to listen to for IP requests, in my case eth1.
Otherwise, it would try to listen on all interfaces, and then would
fail since eth0 is not properly declared.
But when I add eth1 like this:

/usr/sbin/dhcpd -- -d eth1

the script fails at boottime and I need to restart from floppies to get
back. From what I understand from man dhcpd, this should be a perfectly
valid option.
The booting process stops just after starting anacron, where it should
start dhcpd.

What is the problem now ??  Any ideas ??  What else can I do to track
the problem ??

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
--