Re: warning message from portsentry

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 07:44:51PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On 2001.12.20 19:33 Pollywog wrote:
> >On 2001.12.20 19:04 rick@niof.net wrote:
> >>What does this warning mean and what is causing it?

> >>I get it when I run a 2.4 kernel but not when I run a 2.2 kernel so
> >>I believe it's something internal to my system. There are hundreds
> >>of them every hour.

Correction. Make that hundreds of *thousands*. As in daemon.log entries:

Dec 21 08:31:03 tc portsentry[12063]: attackalert: Possible stealth scan
from unknown host to TCP port: 111 (accept failed)
Dec 21 08:31:33 tc last message repeated 98235 times
Dec 21 08:32:34 tc last message repeated 196030 times
Dec 21 08:33:33 tc last message repeated 187197 times

> >That appears to be Portmapper.  If you are not using it, disable it
> >or remove it.  Otherwise  go into your Portsentry config and remove
> >port 111 from the list of ports Portsentry monitors.

I stopped portmapper and still get the messages. (I ran
'/etc/init.d/portmap stop' and portmap no longer shows in a ps.)

> Instead of removing the port from the list of ports being watched, you
> can also add the host to portsentry.ignore if you think that best.  In
> mine, I have:
>
> # IPs from /etc/portsentry/portsentry.ignore.static:
> 127.0.0.1
> 0.0.0.0
> 192.168.1.1
>
> I am not sure why 0.0.0.0 is present and I believe it was added by
> debconf but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Those were already there.

Besides, I really don't want to just *ignore* the problem. I'd like to
know what's causing it.

Why does it happen when I run 2.4.16 and not when I run 2.2.16?

--
You contend that I am wrong to teach my son science and
philosophy; I believe you are wrong to teach yours Greek and