debian 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrade woes

I did a live upgrade (production server, company doesn't have funds for a
development or transition server) on a box from Debian 2.1 to Debian 2.2,
and reminded myself why I don't like to upgrade boxes.  I've got most of
the stuff fixed (finally), but I get these errors in dselect:

When trying to [A]ccess,

Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
Can't call method "quit" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/setup line 148, <STDIN> chunk 10.

query/setup script returned error exit status 29.
Press <enter> to continue.

When trying to [I]nstall,

Couldn't open /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/vars : No such file or directory
Try to relaunch the « Access » step in dselect, thanks.

installation script returned error exit status 2.
Press <enter> to continue.

Any suggestions on how to get my dselect happy again?

Please reply directly, as I'm not on debian-user at this time.

Thanks,

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNP, CCDP
Networking Consultant

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
5606 Randolph Blvd		templin@urdirect.net
San Antonio, TX 78233		(210)477-7603